I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers.
I perhaps owe having become a teacher to the marigolds in my garden.
-Inspired by Claude Monet
Yesterday, a fellow slicer responded to my slice with a quote from Monet. I loved it and it inspired me to write my own twist on it. Not only do I have several marigolds in my current school garden, I also have met many others along the way.
• My parents – always encouraging me – providing me with opportunities – expecting me to do my best.
• Mrs. Scholbe – a neighbor who served a a grandmother-like figure who took me fishing to her secret spots on the lake and shared her love of crafts with me too.
• Mr. and Mrs. Biever – An older couple who lived next door and treated us the same as the did their own grandchildren, Mr. Biever showed us how to row a boat.
• Mrs. Right – my elementary art teacher who always filled the room with a smile and magic (I went back to visit as a sophomore in college and she remembered me!)
• Mrs. Johnson – my second grade teacher who believe in us and understood the need for movement having us do movement breaks like “I’m a little teapot” (She was my sister’s teacher as well as mine.)
• Mrs. Romenouk – my fourth grade Sunday School teacher who truly love teaching.
• Mr. Erickson – my senior english teacher who showed us the importance of writing
• Mrs. Cantwell – the advisor for our high school newspaper who allowed me to create a “creative page” in the newspaper where poems and prose was published.
• Mrs. Beckwith – my cooperating teacher when I student taught in Stoughton.
• My college advisor who helped me get my first job.
• My husband who I met in my second year of teaching and helped me with projects and continues to inspire me.
I was lucky to be a summer school helper in junior high, a Sunday School teacher in high school, a high school intern for an elementary school as a high school senior, and a Vacation Bible School Teacher in college, all experiences that helped me along the way. My list is long and I’ve been fortunate to have each of these marigolds fill my garden as I grew too. There are many others too. I hope I too have been a marigold in someone else’s garden. Helping and inspiring others is important as we journey together in life.